Vacuums have changed so much over the years; you probably are not familiar with the vacuums brands that are on the market. This guide is a head to head comparison where we will look at two tried and true brands: Hoover vs Bissell. We will explore the best options that each brand has to offer for each household need.
Best Vacuum for Carpet
How to Choose
The first consideration to make is whether you are going to need to clean a carpet with a lot of traffic or one that is barely walked upon. Do you have kids or pets that will make the carpet dirtier? Do you have stairs that you will need to clean as well? You may need a brush or another attachment that allows you to get the soil out of the fibers of the carpet. You will also want a unit that is light enough to heft around your living space.
Also, consider the fibers of the carpet. Many carpets today are made from durable, synthetic material that will last for years. However, some more natural fibers cannot handle high suction power, which means you need a vacuum that can clean without destroying the fibers.
You should also consider the filtration of the vacuum that you are purchasing because if you have allergies, a HEPA filter can help remove the dust, pollen, or dander from the carpet when you are cleaning.
Best Upright Vacuum for Carpet
Hoover Air™ Steerable Bagless Upright, UH72400
This vacuum is a lightweight vacuum that is easy to manage. In fact, it weighs less than 14 pounds, so you will have no issues vacuuming stairs with this unit. The suction that this model has to offer is amazing; in fact, it is perfect for getting deep down into the fibers of a shaggy carpet.
One of the reasons that this Hoover vacuum is considered one of the best uprights for carpet is the HEPA filter. When combines with AllergenBlock Technology, you can prevent 99 percent of the allergens that are found in your carpet from reentering the air that you are breathing.
Here are some key features that make it a great option for carpet:
- It has swivel technology that makes it easy to steer.
- This model is lightweight and easy to carry.
- It has an easy to clean filter.
- The vacuum features WindTunnel 3 Technology that’s great for thicker carpets.
Bissell CleanView® with OnePass Technology® Upright Vacuum, 9595A
This Bissell CleanView model is designed with OnePass Technology, which means that it has a very strong suction that is designed to clean your carpet the first time that you go over it. This technology is more efficient, which means that cleaning up your home will require less time.
The foam filter is washable; and when it is clean, it helps reduce the allergens in the air. It does weigh about 15 pounds, but that should still be light enough for most to carry from room to room with ease, especially since it has a carry handle for your convenience.
What makes it so great for cleaning carpet?
- It has a rotating brush that helps pick up the debris that is on your carpet.
- The OnePass Technology and the brushed motor make the suction strong enough to deep clean most carpets.
- The vacuum can hold 2.2 liters of dirt, which makes it more convenient to clean a large carpeted area without emptying the cup.
Best Cordless Vacuum for Carpet
Hoover Air™ Cordless Lift Upright Vacuum, Bh51120pc
When it comes to ease of cleaning, nothing is more convenient than a cordless vacuum. The Hoover Air Lift is a vacuum that is designed to remove surface debris as well as the dirt and grime that has become embedded in your carpet. The model is designed to twist and swivel to your needs, and there is even a wand to help you reach behind the couch.
Some of the features that make this one of the best cordless vacuums for carpet are:
- It has Dual Cyclone Technology and a boost mode that can be used in combination to give you a burst of extra power to clean even the most soiled carpet.
- The brushroll can easily be removed, so you can use the vacuum on any type of carpet.
- This vacuum has a LED headlight hat can be used to locate small items that you may have dropped on your carpet.
- It easily converts into a lift canister that is convenient for cleaning carpeted stairs.
Bissell Powerglide® Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 1534
The Bissell Powerglide cordless vacuum is a model that gives you the convenience of being able to clean wire free while having the same amount of power. It features Dual Cyclone Technology that is able to deep clean all of your carpet fibers and furniture with ease. This lightweight model is also easy to carry when the need arises. At only 11 pounds, it is not a hassle to carry to the second floor of your home.
Here are some of the notable features of this vacuum:
- The Lithium-ion battery is designed to last for 45 minutes of continuous vacuuming, and it only takes about two hours to recharge.
- The swivel technology makes it easy to maneuver on any type of flooring, especially floors with thick carpet.
- The Lift Off functionality makes it perfect for cleaning the carpet in your car as well as your home.
- The height of the vacuum can easily be adjusted to accommodate your carpet.
Best Canister Vacuum for Carpet
Hoover WindTunnel® Air™ Bagless Canister, SH40070
Canister vacuums are not often considered, but ignoring these versatile machines is a mistake. This Hoover Windtunnel is a model that is designed to remove dirt and debris from the surface of the carpet as well as in the fibers that are deep under the surface. It has WindTunnel 3 Technology that gives you three channels of suction instead of just one.
This lightweight model is easy to pull behind you on any type of carpet, but there are other features that make it great as well:
- It has steerable technology that makes it easy to maneuver the unit with a simple twist of the wrist.
- The unit includes a HEPA filter that is designed to eliminate pollen and dirt that is bigger than 0.3 microns.
- The brushroll is managed with a simple switch, so you can change types of carpet and flooring with ease and still have a clean floor.
Bissell Revolution® Bagless Canister Vacuum, 12901
The Bissell Revolution is another great canister vacuum that gives you a lot of suction power. It utilizes cyclone technology, and it’s designed to change from thin carpets to shaggy area rugs with ease. The cord is long enough to allow you to vacuum more than one room without unplugging it, and the swivel head makes it easy to vacuum around your furniture. In addition, the cord has a rewind function that makes it easier to put away.
What else makes it a great option for carpet? Let’s take a look:
- This model is easy to move from room to room. It even has a carry handle for your convenience.
- The nozzle can adjust to accommodate the thickness of your carpet; in fact, it can even clean bare floors.
- The area that holds the dirt that you are vacuuming is easy empty and clean.
Best Vacuum for Tile and Hardwood Floors
How to Choose
When you are choosing a vacuum to clean hardwood or tile floors, you need to first consider the type of flooring that you will need to clean. Some floors can scratch easily, which is why a lightweight model may be a good option. Other floors have crevices where dirt can accumulate, so having a high suction may be something that you are looking for.
Look for accessories that will accommodate your needs, and don’t forget to consider a vacuum that can steam the dirt off of the grout between your tiles as well, which can keep your floor looking like it is new. Steaming your floors will also help to clean any bacteria that may be in the grout between the tiles.
Best Upright for Tile and Hardwood Floors
Hoover Air™ Lite Compact Multi-Cyclonic Upright, UH72460
The Hoover Air Lite is a vacuum that is designed for designed for all types of floors, but it’s lightweight body, soft wheels, and powerful suction make it perfect for getting the grit from between tile and hardwood floor panels. It also has a swivel design that makes it easy to get around any type of furniture, whether it is a couch or your kitchen table.
Here are some of the other features that make it great for bare floors:
- It has a multi-floor brushroll that makes it easy to switch from carpet to a bare floor.
- The height of the vacuum will automatically adjust to the needs of your living space.
- The vacuum has soft bumpers that make it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
- The WindTunnel Technology is perfect for getting the dirt from those hard to reach spaces that are often times present on a bare floor.
Bissell CleanView® Rewind Deluxe Vacuum Cleaner, 1819
The Bissell CleanView is a vacuum that is great for bare floors because it provides edge-to-edge suction that is perfect for getting the space that is right up against the wall. There are even edge bristles that will help clean the baseboards. The triple action brushroll combines with the multi-cyclone suction to remove all of the dirt and grime from your floors. It is a bit heavier than some of the other models I’ve reviewed here, but at a little over 15 pounds, it is still manageable.
Features that are noteworthy on this vacuum:
- The edge-to-edge cleaning technology is ideal for cleaning tight corners, just be careful because there is not a soft bumper on the vacuum.
- The vacuum is designed with Scatter-Free Technology that is meant to keep the loose debris in the vacuum instead of scattering it.
Best Cordless Vacuum for Tile and Hardwood Floors
Hoover Air™ Cordless Series 3.0 Upright Vacuum, Bh50140
The Hoover Air 3.0 is a vacuum that offers WindTunnel 3 and Cyclone Technology when it comes to suction, which means that you will have three channels lifting the dirt for you at any given time. This device is a cordless option that has all of the power that you need for your living space, and it weighs less than 10 pounds. The batteries have about a 50 minute run time. There is even an indicator on the vacuum so that you can keep track of the amount of charge you have left.
Why is it so great for tile and hardwood floors?
- The vacuum is designed with extra soft bristles so that your hardwood flooring does not become scratched while you are vacuuming it.
- It has a separate hardwood brushroll attachment so that you can quickly switch to different types of floors.
- It is very light, which means that the wheels will not damage soft flooring that you may have in your home.
Bissell BOLT® XRT Pet 2 in 1 Cordless Vacuum, 1315
If you are looking for the best cordless vacuum for pet hair, then the Bissell Bolt XRT Pet is a stick vacuum that you may be interested in. It is a lightweight model that works for most types of floor, but it is exceptional at cleaning bare floors. This is a vacuum that is designed for quick clean up, so it only has a battery life of about 20 minutes. The dirt cup on this unit is only 0.4 liters, so make sure that you empty it after each use.
Here are some of the benefits of this cordless model:
- The edge bristles are great for cleaning around the edges of rooms and getting up any dust, debris, or pet hair that may be lingering on the floor.
- The handle folds down and the middle section of the vacuum can be removed and used as a handheld device, which makes it great for cleaning up a spill quickly.
Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
How to Choose
When you have a pet, you need to purchase a vacuum that has a lot of suction power. Pet hair can stick to the fibers of the carpet; making them difficult to clean. The hair is also good at getting into crevices in the furniture as well, so make sure to get a vacuum that has attachments that can help you reach the locations where your pet likes to relax.
Consider the area that you will be cleaning with the vacuum; do you have a small space or a large home that you will need to clean? If you are looking for the best vacuum for pet hair, then you should consider one with a HEPA feature. This is an attribute that can be found in most vacuums today, and it is a great way to keep the air in your home free from allergens like pet dander that could affect your guests.
Best Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair
Hoover WindTunnel® 3 High Performance Pet Bagless Upright, UH72630PC
If you are looking for a powerful vacuum that can handle the mess that is left behind by your kids, then the Hoover WindTunnel 3 HP Pet is a great vacuum to consider. It is designed with a QuickPass brushroll that will clean your flooring in about half the time. The WindTunnel 3 Technology ensures that the three channels of suction are powerful enough to get all of the dirt and pet hair in one pass. The cord is also 40 feet long, so you will need to unplug far less frequently; making cleaning a quicker process.
This is one of the best upright vacuums for pet hair, let’s see why.
- It comes with a pivoting dusting tool that is ideal for getting the pet hair from high spots that are difficult to reach.
- The pet turbo tool is great for getting the pet hair that is stuck in the fibers of your carpet.
- This vacuum comes with a HEPA filter that is designed to keep the allergens and pet dander to a minimum in your home.
Bissell® Pet Hair Eraser® Upright Vacuum, 1650A
Do you have a cat or a dog that shed a lot? Then, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser may be a great option for you. The vacuum is designed by pet owners because they know the hassles that pet hair can cause. It is lightweight and easy to maneuver, but here are some of the more pet –friendly features:
- It has a brushroll that is designed to be tangle free.
- There is a special Pet TurboErasrer tool that is designed to suck up the hair that has become embedded in the fibers of your carpet.
- The SmartSeal Allergen System is perfect for removing the pet dander and other allergens from your living space. It also utilizes Febreze to help eliminate the pet odor that may be in your living space as you clean the floors.
- The dirt cup is designed with pet parents in mind. The Cyclonic Spooling System ensures that the unit can be emptied hands-free.
Wrapping it Up
The vacuum that you decide to purchase will vary based on the needs of your home. Maybe you have all hardwood floors that are easy to clean, or perhaps you have thick carpets in your home that require a lot of power to get the grit and grime out of the fibers. You’ve seen the head to head in a number of categories; now you decide. Hoover vs Bissell, which one will you choose?