We like to save space and make the most out of what space we have.
We also like to avoid having blankets, towels, rags, shirts, pants, and underwear laying out drying on whatever random spot you can find around your house. Also, if you need to add a little more storage to your closet for hanging dress shirts, then it’s easy to install a rack that will take advantage of your unused space.
Add storage to your closet with a garment rack, or make the most of your laundry room with a wall-mounted drying rack. Taking advantage of vertical space goes a long way and tends to make rooms feel bigger.
The freestanding accordion-style racks are one way to do it, but they get knocked over, are generally flimsy, and take up storage space when they’re not being used. We’d like to avoid all that.
Wall-mounted racks come in a variety of forms. The accordion-style is very common is our favorite since it easily collapses and takes up less space. With that said, there are a ton more options to choose from that you likely haven’t even considered.
Collapsible Accordion Drying Rack
These are ideal for laundry rooms and can be folded flat when they’re not being used. They are so much easier to deal with than freestanding racks and take advantage of unused wall space.
We want to avoid any cheaply made steel products since we know these racks will be coming into contact with moisture. Good quality stainless steel or aluminum is what we need.
- Collapsible Accordion Design
- Lightweight Construction
- 10 Drying Bars
- Energy Saving
- Wall Mounting and Eye-Hook
The convenience of this rack can’t be understated. It folds out when you need it and goes away easily when you’re done. You get a ton of rack space with a small footprint.
Each of the 10 rods has a usable length of about 27 inches. When folded up the rack sticks out from the wall about 4.5 inches. In use, the dimensions are 36″ W x 24″ D x 10″ H.
You may be tempted to buy the wooden (or MDF) accordion racks, but you can count on them failing in the first year if you try to put the same amount of laundry as you would these metal racks. For the cost, these metal accordion racks are a great bang for your buck regarding longevity and drying space.
Stainless Steel Rack
- It’s equivalent to having 22 feet of linear hanging line. Lowers your energy bill by reducing your clothes dryer use.
- Very sturdy and durable (made of Aluminum and can hold up to 60lbs of clothes)
- Easy installation.
- Helps you keep your clothes and other objects neatly organized and it’s really easy to use.
- Helps dry your clothes and avoid all types of wrinkles when removing your clothes from the dryer
This rack is solid stainless steel and can hold up to 60 lbs. You get 22 linear feet of hanging space from 8 hanging bars.
The accordion-style is super sturdy, and this model is one of our favorites. If you’re looking for something collapsible, we prefer accordions over the other collapsible systems in the next section.
The white painted steel model below is a nice budget option and isn’t quite as sturdy as the models above.
- EFFICIENT DRYING OPTIONS: Saves on energy by offering an air-drying option for wet clothes and towels; The 8 bars are staggered to allow for optimal airflow for 18 feet of drying space; Mount two units side by side to create a larger area to dry clothes or linens; Avoid shrinking and wrinkling that machine drying can cause; Wide rungs provide you with endless drying options in one, compact laundry drying unit; Hang underwear, tights, leggings, hosiery, pajamas and more
- COMPACT: The expanding and retractable design of the drying rack allows you to put it practically any place where space is limited like a laundry room, bedroom, bathroom; It retracts for compact, discreet storage, and it's ready to use any time; Mounts easily to walls - try using this outside the home for air-drying clothes on a balcony or in a back yard; Mount it near a pool to hang and dry beach towels or wet bathing suits
- GREAT FOR SMALL SPACES: This space-saving drying rack provides space to air dry clothing, towels, delicates, lingerie, sports bras, yoga pants, athletic gear and more without taking up any floor space; Easily mounts on a flat wall surface with the included hardware; Use in laundry rooms, utility rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, garages or on balconies; A great laundry drying system for small-space living in college dorm rooms, apartments, condos, RVs, cabins, and campers
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of sturdy steel wire with a durable finish; Mounting hardware included; Easy Care - Clean with a damp cloth
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Measures 23.6" x 15.3" x 4.7" high; When fully extended, provides 18' of drying space
This budget model has slightly less hanging space than the ones above and is made of steel with a white coating. It’s a bit more flimsy than the two above but gets the job done better than a wooden rack.
Some owners report the screws that come with it are too short. This is often the case with just about anything you order than hangs on the wall. You will likely need to get some larger wall anchors and screws. Your best bet is to make sure these racks are installed into wall studs.
Collapsible Clothes Hanger System
These hanger systems aren’t accordions, but they collapse to be out of the way. These are ideal for laundry rooms or bathrooms where you want to be able to tuck away the rack when not in use.
If your bathroom doesn’t already have a towel rack, then some of these models may be an option that gives you more drying space for used towels than a single towel bar.
- TRUST THE ORIGINAL: Over 1 million units sold since 2007. North American customer support, inventory and quality control. Helped thousands of customers organizing their laundry room, closet and more!
- COLLAPSIBLE CLOTHING RACK: Utilizes 2 InstaHangers to create a collapsible rack with up to 60’’ of telescopic storage rod. It’s great for the guest room, laundry room, or utility closet. Can be used both outdoors or indoors.
- EASY WALL-MOUNT INSTALLATION: Comes ready to use, minimal assembly required. Works on drywall, masonry, bricks or concrete walls. Marking template, screws and anchors included.
- STURDY AND DURABLE: Super discreet once folded. Can hold up to 120 lbs. The mounts are made from heavy-duty ABS plastic and the rod is made from durable stainless steel.
- DIMENSIONS: Closed (18” H x 36” – 60” W x 1 1/4” D). Opened (18” H x 36” – 60” W x 14” D). You can use InstaHangers independently, giving you 12” each of hanging space. The steel rod has a diameter of 1/4”.
The QuikCLOSET provides 3′ to 5′ of hanging space. It supports up to 100 lbs and must be installed correctly to handle this weight. The rod is telescoping so you can choose the width you need.
When installed the hanger will fold flat to a thickness of 1-1/4″. You can install these hangers in brick, concrete, or wood. Masonry anchors and wood screws are provided. The hanger rod is made of stainless steel.
We’re a little skeptical this can hold 100 lbs, and there are a few reports of it breaking at less than that weight.
Sometimes you just need a little more space to put things and don’t need a giant rack to store an entirely new wardrobe.
Here are a few small additions you can make to your closet that might add just enough space for you.
This simple folding rack has a single bar that holds 60 lbs. It’s made from aluminum and stainless steel. These have a small footprint and can be installed on narrow wall space.
This rack is made completely from metal and gives you about 10″ of rack space. This type is great if you don’t have a wide space available.
Keep in mind this is 2-pack set, but there is an option for a single.
We like this rack because the mounting system is made of steel. Plastic in those areas is generally bad news. The steel rod isn’t heavy gauge, so avoid hanging heavier clothes in the middle.
- EFFICIENT DRYING OPTIONS: Saves on energy by offering air-drying options while safely allowing air to circulate around your clothing and avoid shrinking and wrinkling machine drying can cause; The wide bar provides you with drying space for endless drying options in one, compact laundry drying unit; Hang bathing suits, bras, underwear, lingerie, pajamas, towels and more to maximize drying options and save time
- COMPACT: The design of the drying rack allows you to put it practically any place where space is limited like a laundry room, bedroom, bathroom; Adjust the width to the exact size to fit your needs. Folds flat into the wall for compact, discreet storage, and it's ready to use any time; Mounts easily to walls - try using this outside the home for air-drying clothes on a balcony or in a back yard; Mount it near a pool to hang and dry beach towels or wet bathing suits
- GREAT FOR SMALL SPACES: This space-saving drying rack provides space to air dry clothing, towels, delicates, lingerie, sports bras, yoga pants, athletic gear and more without taking up any floor space; Easily mounts on a flat wall surface with the included hardware; Use in laundry rooms, utility rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, garages or on balconies; A great laundry drying system for small-space living in college dorm rooms, apartments, condos, RVs and campers
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of sturdy steel wire with a durable rust-resistant finish; Mounting hardware included; Easy Care - Wipe clean with a damp cloth
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Measures 12" x 32" x 15.5 high
The important thing to keep in mind with the hangers above is to be careful about putting on too much weight. These style hangers just aren’t as sturdy as some of the other styles here. As long as you stay mindful of how much weight you’re adding to the hanger, and not stacking it up in the middle of the rod, you likely won’t have issues.
Wall-Mount Towel Bars
These 180-degree rotatable hanging bars give you versatile towel storage. You can put used towels for drying on one side and unused on the other. It’s made from Type 304 Stainless Steel. These are also great men’s tie or belt racks.
No products found.
This is a super-efficient way to hang towels and dry used towels in a bathroom. The end of each bar has a cap which keeps the towel from sliding off.
Each arm is 350mm (or about 13.8 inches). With this design, it’s easy to be sure you’ve hit a wall stud. Horizontal bars with 2 mount points can be difficult or impossible to be set to the right width for hitting wall studs on both sides.
- RUSTPROOF STEEL: Towel rack with bar brushed steel is made of premium SUS304 stainless steel to protect against rust, ensuring durability and longevity. It won't easily become rusty in humid environment thanks to 18/8 stainless steel material.
- Upgraded and Reinforced Towel Bar: We've recently upgraded this towel bar so the part that connects the towel bar and the rack is much tighter and more stable. The upgraded towel bars provide you with additional hanging storage for your hand towels and bath towels. In addition, this 30" towel shelf offers plenty of room for storing extra towels.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL DESIGN: This spacious towel shelf can fit two folded bath towels on the shelf. And you can hang four face towels on towel bars below..
- MULTIPURPOSE: This towel bar can be installed in bathroom, shower, kitchen, closet, behind the door, etc. Brushed stainless steel finish is built to resist daily scratches and tarnishing.
- PACKAGE CONTENT: Towel Rack with Towel Bars x 1, Screw Pack x 1, Installation Instruction x 1.
There are two models available, 24″ and 30″ wide. This rack is made from Type 304 Stainless steel. You can get a brushed metal, silver, or polished finish.
If you plan on putting anything but towels on the shelf you should definitely be sure it is mounted into studs. The provided screws won’t be enough. Getting some heavy-duty wall anchors is another alternative, but you will want to avoid heavy objects on the shelf.
Once installed, the shelf has a depth of about 8 inches.
Clothes Rack with Cabinets
This cabinet offers extra storage along with the drying rack. There aren’t a ton of options in this category with the accordion rack built-in.
- Dimensions: 22 1/4 inches high x 22 1/2 inches wide x 7 3/4 inches deep
- Contains one cabinet with doors, 7-rack collapsible drying rack and 4 double metal hooks for extra storage
- Water-resistant white finish
- Space saver design for small laundry rooms and bathrooms
Dimensions: 22.25″ H x 22.5″ W x 7.75″ D
You get 7 bars of hanging space with 4 double metal hooks. It has a water-resistant white finish.
This is a great option if you need some additional storage space for cleaning supplies and also need hanging space. Don’t plan on putting as much weight on the rack as the stainless steel models above.
Clothes Rack with Shelves
This first rack is 24″ wide and is made of wood, but the bars are metal. There are 10 usable rods with 19″ of hanging space each.
- Aluminum scooter deck
- Full grip tape coverage for safety with Disney Lightning McQueen decorations
- Disney Cars scooter has a racing red frame
- Push button folding mechanism
- Push button handlebar height adjustment
The metal bars make this a good choice if you need some extra storage above the rack. The rod spacing is a bit small so you won’t be able to use every rod and get good airflow. Many reviewers state that the provided mounting hardware isn’t enough to hold the rack. That’s a common theme you’ll see with most things in this article. Spend a little extra money and get some good screws or anchors at a hardware store.
Folding Pull-Out Drying Rack
This is a great quality fold-out rack from Ikea that’s made from stainless steel. The hanging bars can lock into 3 different positions.
No products found.
Being 22″ wide, this rack doesn’t mount on standard 16″ centered studs. As long as one side is mounted in a wall stud, it should be fine. There are a total of 6 mount points.
The rack extends 20.5″ from the wall when at the top position. The bars are spaced 3 inches apart and when it’s folded the rack only sticks out about 1 inch from the wall.
Concealed Drying Rack
These racks stay out of the way until needed, and might even look good doing it. The point of these concealed racks is that they are functional, but aren’t an eyesore.
We’ve included two options in this category, but you may also find the door hinge racks to be fitting for this category as well.
This cabinet-concealed rack that we’re looking at first could be mounted just about anywhere and is our top choice for a concealed rack. The Leifheit model below isn’t as attractive as the cabinet model but takes up less space.
No products found.
This cabinet could be installed just about anywhere and it wouldn’t be obvious that it’s a drying rack. Additionally, it has hooks and an extra hanging bar on the door interior.
There are 3 different angle settings for the rack. The dimensions are 23″ W x 4″ D x 27″ H. When fully extended the rack sticks out from the wall 46.75″.
Now, here’s a more budget-friendly option.
- Save space (and energy, and your clothes!) with this collapsible wall mounted laundry drying rack.
- Features 8 drying rods that extend when the rack is opened and a towel bar
- Use for a permanent and discrete air drying solution, especially in small spaces.
- Holds up to 44 lbs and offers 26.5 feet of total drying space
- 5" H x 24.25" W x 40" D
This rack looks great when folded up and has a small footprint. It’s about 40″ wide and extends out 21″ when fully open. There’s also a 28″ wide model available.
The maximum recommended weight for this rack is 44 lbs. That’s a lot of laundry, so be sure to mount it into studs or use large wall anchors. This rack blends in very well, though it isn’t as attractive as the cabinet models.
The dimensions when closed are 5.375″H x 40.625″W x 2″D. It’s made from ABS plastic and stainless steel rods.
Door Hinge Towel Rack
Obviously, these aren’t mounted on the wall, but they are a great way to take advantage of the unused space behind your door. Depending on how much clearance you have behind your bathroom door, you might fit one of the racks above, but these hinge-mounted racks are ideal for adding towel storage to your bathroom. It’s a great way to free up shelf or cabinet space for other things. If you try to reuse towels more than once, then this helps make sure they dry properly and don’t get moldy.
- Hang Bath Towels Right Behind Your Door with this revolutionary bathroom towel bar
- No driilling, no screws, no mess: installs in seconds
- Dry cloths in laundry or steam garments with this off the floor towel rack
- Hangs on any door and towel bar extends to 32 inches
- Uses: towel bar in bathroom, drying rack laundry room, extra cloths rack in bedroom or closet.
You only get 1 towel bar with this purchase. These bars are telescoping from 14″ to 32″. The bar is made from stainless steel.
You’ll likely only want to use the top 2 hinges on your door as the lowest one will be too low to actually hang anything. The telescoping function makes these great for smaller doors where other rods might be too long. They are a bit expensive since only one bar is provided, but this type of bar is easier to install and sturdier than the model below.
- This discreet storage solution showcases sleek steel construction with three swiveling bars, a top storage hook, and a thoughtfully designed installation mechanism
- Instantly add 300% more hanging space to any bathroom or bedroom with this cleverly constructed storage bar
- Parallel towel bars swivel independently and are ideal for a shared bathroom
- Made from 100% steel
- Clutterbuster measures 21 inches W x 70 inches H x 1 inch deep
The 4 chrome-plated bars swivel independently. This model fits on doors with hinges that are between 53.5″ and 66″ from the top of the first hinge to the top of the last hinge.
There is some flexibility in the mounting requirements. If your hinges are closer together (53.5″ to 60″), then put the top bracket in the down position and the bottom bracket in the up position. Vice-versa if your hinges are farther apart.
The rods are 18″ long and can move toward or away from the door independently.
Garment Rack for Storage
These racks can be installed in your closet or laundry room for drying or storage purposes. We’ve included a variety of models here which can swivel or collapse if you want to put them away while they’re not being used.
For closets, you likely don’t need any swivel or collapsing racks, so check out the static racks as well.
- Material: SUS304 Stainless steel[Sturdy and Functional]. Total Length: About 12.60inch[32cm]. Wall-Mount Base Size[LxW]: About 2.36x2.36inch[6x6cm]. Hanger spokes (6 total): About 0.71" length,1.45" apart. Included screws (4 total): About 1.18" long. There's room for plenty of hangers, and It's handy to be able to swing the arm against the wall and out of the way when not in use.
- SPACE SAVER - This rack is heavy duty.It can swing 180 degrees. Pretty easy to install, mounting screws are include in the package. Very durable and sturdy. Nice space saving design just open, to hang and close it up when done. Gives you an "instant clothes closet" anywhere; perfect for small spaces, out-of-the-way corners, bathrooms, on a porch or deck, and much more.
- Handy, Tidy - It's such a simple idea, but keeps hangers off the shower rod. They are that just that handy for anything from hanging shirts to prevent wrinkling if left too long in the dryer, to using as a valet to lay out the clothing. Use your imagination, it not only can hang clothes, also can hang hat, bag,necklaces where they wouldn't get all tangled up and so on.
- This is ideal for the space that has in your laundry room or other rooms. It also looks neat and attractive and matches other accessories at home. This colthes hooks is made from premium-grade stainless steel and it is sturdy enough to hold jeans, sweaters and jackets even when wet.
- Sturdy, elegant and time saver- It has plenty of room for all the shirts coat and keeps them separated nicely. This allows to hang heavy items (coats, etc.) out of the way in a stacked/cascaded fashion. You can hang one in each of your families closet's, then they use them to hang up the clothes they will wear the next day! It simplified life and saves a ton of time every morning not having to hassle with "I have nothing to wear"!
These Stainless Steel (Type 304) swivel racks are super sturdy and have 6 hanger spokes. The swivel bar sticks out about 12.5″ from the wall and is easy to swivel against the wall when it’s not being used.
You could even mount several of these in your laundry room and add a ton of storage exactly where you need it.
Gravity keeps the swivel bar in place in both positions. Ideally, these are mounted in wall studs as they are quite substantial and filling them up with wet laundry will add quite a bit of weight.
One option is to mount them on a wooden board, which you could paint the color of your wall, and then mount the board on multiple studs in your laundry room or closet. This eliminates any weight concerns.
- A set of 3 wall mounted clothes racks made of sturdy metal with a black finish
- 5-tier design provides customers with a clear view of each item
- Hanging rings have a sleek contemporary look to complement retail clothing boutiques
- Garment rack can also be used as a valet when washing or drying delicate items
- Approximate Dimensions (each rack, in inches): 12 W X 11.4 H X 0.75 D
These give you a ton of vertical spacing between each garment so that you can easily see everything. This is a 3-pack set with 5 rings per rack.
The rack sticks out about 12″ from the wall. If you’re looking for something that isn’t so boring for your laundry room or entryway area, then consider these. These definitely don’t have to be tucked away in a closet.
- ✔ SOLD BY DIY CARTEL - Custom Industrial Look: Your set comes with 1 floor flange, 3 x 10-inch pipes, 1x elbow, 1x T-connector & 2 caps for a one-of-a-kind wall mounted industrial pipe clothing rack. Screws NOT included.
- ✔ Industrial Strength Construction: Tired of flimsy plastic racks? This heavy-duty hardware is crafted from raw, black malleable iron. Perfect for home, retail, and commercial use.
- ✔ Easy to Install & Reusable: Put this up in minutes. Your metal clothing rack can be reused throughout any room or space in your home or business.
- ✔ Size: 11-inches out from wall & 22.5-inches wide
- ✔ Money Back Guarantee if SOLD by DIY CARTEL: We’re confident you’ll love the style and functionality of your new wall mounted metal clothing rack, which is why we offer a full refund or replacement if you aren’t completely satisfied.
No flimsy plastic here. This heavy-duty garment rack is made from iron. These are a great way to add an industrial look to your home or retail store.
This set comes with 1 flange (mounts to the wall), three 10-inch pipes, 1 elbow, 1 T-connector, and 2 caps. You simply assemble just like the picture.
You get about 22″ of usable rack space. Each pipe is 10″ long, so the rack sticks out about 11″ from the wall. This will definitely need to be installed into a wall stud.